Wednesday, June 17, 2009

wikipedia

I spent several hours searching wikipedia to identify an article to edit. I made minor edits to an entry that addresses a local annual basketball tournament. I would have preferred to make a signficant edit in an entry that actually speaks to me, but perused enough on the AT site to discern that it was pretty well covered. I may return and add an external link to the site; I had mixed feelings about that. One link reverts to an article I believe was created at the high school where I teach; I can have my principal review the article for its accuracy before I add it.

Here's the link for the minor revisions I made in wikipedia and one to view my wikipedia profile.

I appreciate the exercise in reviewing, editing, and saving entries. I found it difficult to select a topic of interest and to find an article I felt competent to edit. I first went to look at the entry on Reiki, saw it listed as a topic of debate, and realized all the sources I'd cite to add to that entry are in Virginia. One also considers the time invested with the outcome, and I'm electing to take an easy edit after exploring and searching for quite some time.

Our culture often values doing things in a "big way." I'm grateful that d.i.'s introductory comments allowed us to consider minor edits as a learning experience; I probably still be searching for the perfect topic and the perfect big edit if he hadn't wisely done that.
Thanks, d.i.!

No comments:

Post a Comment