Thursday, June 18, 2009

Editing Wikiversity

The assignment to edit the Web 2.0 course in Wikiversity was a breeze compared to the Wiktionary and Wikipedia assignments. We've lived and breathed Web 2.0 over the past few weeks so adding to the activity list was easy to do.

I may have given too much assistance in the assignment posted here; however, I would have loved that tip before I started.

My first additions in the activities area are noted here. I invite you to edit and strengthen my entries. This is so awesome! Now I am beginning to see how I might create some lessons for others to use on Wikiversity. My question to others is this: if I am designing a lesson for students with mild to moderate mental disabilities, how might I convey that to contributors so that the language used is clear and concise, the steps given for assignments written in language that gives mini-steps?

What was second nature to many in this class has been brand new information and skills for me. I was thrilled to be able to enter Wikiversity, to have something of value to say, and to be able to make the changes with confidence. Having the baby-steps in earlier assignments was helpful. Putting time into those areas allowed me to quickly accomplish editing Wikiversity. As a matter of fact, the assignment went so well, I began to second-guess if I'd missed something!

To create a full-fledged course on Wikiversity, I'd want the following:
1) time, 2) willing collaborators, 3) commitment to the project from participants, 4) an agreed-upon topic, several subt0pics, and the understanding that the course will evolve as participants work through the project.

If we had more time in this class, we could, indeed, write such a course. Perhaps over the coming months and years as you teach this class, d.i., you can have the Web 2.0 students edit the Wikiversity Web 2.0 course. I wouldn't be surprised if you actually started it, but whether you did or not doesn't matter. It's out there, and we can return to it at our leisure in the future to add, explore, and learn. That alone is of great value to me.

I've taken plenty of graduate level classes, master and doctorate levels. This course, by far, has led me on a journey from point A to point B where I've covered more distance and grown moe as a student than I can recall ever doing in another course. The combination of hands-on, explore, create, read, reflect, evaluate, and do-it-all-again has been a winning combination.

Many thanks to my classmates and to d.i. for this journey. I've been turtle-like at times, but I'm determined to finish the race!

Enjoy the day!
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment