Sunday, June 21, 2009

Which license to use? cc or copyright




I began my search with the National Parks Service and ended up in the NC State Parks media room looking at winning photographs from the 2009 NC state parks photo contest. Each photographer who generated a winning shot is identified; I am guessing each signed a release regarding his/her winning photograph, prompted perhaps by a love of the outdoors, an appreciation of our state parks, and a creative spirit. Andrea Moon took this winning photograph of Stone Mountain which I selected because I've spent many hours in that park, both as a child and as an adult.


I understand the difference between copyright and the creative commons license and recognize the symbols for both. However, when I was searching the national parks sites, I ran across archived photographs and wasn't certain how to interpret the verbiage there.


I wasn't always efficient in my search for "free" photographs. (Sometimes I simply don't scroll down to the bottom of the page!) When I was retracing my steps to include a url for this blog, I returned to the webpage for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Viola! I finally an invitation to view the free photographs on site and noted also that free podcasts and vblogs are available.

From that selection, I choose to share the photograph displayed at the top of this blog because I've hiked in the Smokies.
I am wrestling with how to proceed with an idea I have for a venture... because it has the potential for a business venture, I'm not certain whether I'll simply put the idea out on the web and let someone else run with it, or whether I'll explore getting it set up so that I can benefit. I'd welcome input from this class and may opt to post my idea internally. I bought the domain I'll need for the idea a week or so ago, so I've set the idea in motion, at least in the ethers!
Soooo, if I am looking for an item that is safe to use under public domain, I'll search government sites first, read the fine print, and know that is option #1. In the creative commons area, I'll have to look carefully to see if the items have any sanctions on them...
Before this course, I wasn't familiar with Creative Commons. I think it's a viable and healthy option for millions of us who want to share a great photo, song, piece of art, or idea. Copyright infringement has been discussed often in public education; I'd welcome a refresher in how to quickly identify works in public domain and in the creative commons area, cc notation notwithstanding... that's evident.
Enjoy!
Anne








3 comments: